Saturday 23 February 2013

Evaluation Question 2

How does your media product represent particular social groups?

Below is the difference in my picture I selected for my CD cover and a picture from the internet of my selected target audience; 'indie scenester.'

Although the structure and stance of the two pictures are different; there are similar attributes of the two. As evident, the lighting in both pictures are very similar, it was obviously dark when both pictures were taken and an artificial flash is apparent, this gives an 'indie' feel to the magazine. Also what type of clothing everyone is wearing is similar. Both subjects on the right are wearing shorts and low cut shoes while on the right they're all wearing trousers. Even though any of them may not be pulling a pose; this is because the picture was being used for a CD cover so a front cover 'pose' was not required, the setting allows the picture to look natural and not set up. The angles of both pictures are at eye line level and the expression on all the faces are similar, they show a distant emotion with a mysterious feel.


To the left is the NME birthday edition feel I was going for when creating my magazine. As you can see the main subject in both mine and the NME magazine is situated slightly to the right and owns the page. The rest of the covers are filled with minimal text and the font is small and thin. The NME cover, the arctic monkeys all have an emotionless expression and I tried to copy this emotionless feel with my model. Although I have taken a mid shot rather than a full body shot like NME I still feel that the subject overwhelms the page completely. As the Arctic Monkeys are the main coverage story within that edition of NME, Leigh Peterson is my focus throughout my magazine. I tried best to include the gold feel within my fonts but I could not succeed because the gold shine is only possible when printed, to whom of which mine isn't. Although my model is a female, the clothes she is wearing are similar to those in the Arctic Monkeys; this will help attract my specified target audience and further justify my genre choice.


To the left is the picture I chose for my front cover, it represents the 'indie scenester' group because of the denim shirt and minimal make up as shown below. Even though the picture below was obviously taken in the street and not against a white wall it still depicts the target audience I was aiming for when taking my picture. The stance of the pictures are not the same but the mise en scéne of the clothes are practically the same, along with the minimal make up.

No comments:

Post a Comment