Tuesday 6 November 2012

General Research On My Selected Target Audience

Indie music is very big at the moment it has grown progressively over the last couple of years, and now it is starting to make its way into the 'mainstream' charts.

The website 'uktribes' had this to say about the typical Indie Scenester;

Typical Indie Scenester

'The Indie Scenester still likes to be ahead of the game when it comes to discovering new music. They still can’t quite shake off the skinny jeans though.'

 

 

I chose to use indie as my genre for my magazine because it is a big scene at the moment. I found this information out through studying the youth market on uktribes website. They are also keen on purchasing magazines as shown on the figure on the right. This type of youth market has one of the highest media consumptions for magazines than any of the other 'types' of youth.


Below is the comparison between the 'chavs' magazine consumption and the 'indie scenesters'






It would not be worth while trying to find the music genre for the steriotypical 'chav' because they barely ever puchase magazines; they have a light media consumption of magazines as shown above.

The 'indie' look  according to uktribes '– skinny jeans, Converse, stripes and Americana T-shirts – shifted for a while when nu-rave came on the scene, but has come full circle as the genre became too mainstream, reflecting the fickleness and speed of quick changing trends in music having an impact on fashion. Currently labels such as American Apparel, Topshop/Topman and Uniqlo are high street staples, with House of Holland appealing to more affluent members of the Indie Scenester crowd. '

The word 'indie' arouse from individual, 'indie scenesters' see themselves as individuals and don't follow the crowd when making there media related choices. Surprisingly enough there are a lot of individuals in the UK; all of which believe they are unlike any one else, this is a good reason to base my magazine on this type of genre. When an indie scenester finds out about a new band or new music, they like to brag about it, therefore getting my magazine out there.

An Interview with an 'Indie Scenester'


What is your name?

Leigh Peterson

Favourite band or artist?

Probably Metronomy or Bombay Bicycle Club, I like their smooth acoustic guitar sounds and their calm voices.

How many music magazines do you purchase or read? If any?

I try to purchase one every fortnight, it helps me keep up with the latest music info and tour dates etc.

Most read magazine? If any?

The music magazine that most appeals to be for content and formatting is Q, I do occasionally buy an NME magazine though.

Where do you shop?

I shop predominately at Topshop and Urban Outfitters; I like their unique style of clothing. If not I try charity shops or at Camden. 

An Interview with an 'Indie Scenester' 

What is your name?

Luke Black

Favourite band or artist?

I quite like Mikill Payne, he is a rapper who likes to tell subliminal messages behind his raps. I enjoy the meaning and thought behind his lyrics.

How many music magazines do you purchase or read? If any?

I rarely purchase a magazine as such, I like to purchase the magazines online, it gives a better user interface and easier access to the information.

Most read magazine? If any?

I like to read the NME magazine online, it is superbly laid out and easy to read.

Where do you shop?

I like to shop at Topman or H&M, although there is an online website called dopechef where I like to buy some of my clothing.

An avatar representation of an 'Indie Scenester'

http://www.voki.com/pickup.php?scid=7162003&height=133&width=100 




No comments:

Post a Comment